Thursday, October 30, 2014

Just One of the Boys

I work in an incredibly male dominated industry. For instance, Tuesday morning meetings have at most 4 women and about 25 men at one time. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, by any means, but I just wanted to give you a general idea of what I'm working with. As the marketing coordinator, I work with the salesmen all the time. There's Monday sales meetings I make reports for, marketing materials I'll create and photoshop, and just about anything else they throw my way.

WELL instead of a normal Monday afternoon meeting, the VP of Sales thought it might be fun for the guys to go shooting because they do take a lot of customers hunting in the upcoming months (hunting season starts in a couple of weeks). And to my surprise, they asked me to join as well!


I had shot a rifle when I was much younger at a family friend's ranch, but it has been years. The only shooting I do lately is behind a camera.



But you know what? I did it! I used a larger rifle at first and the kick just about knocked me out of my chair. All of the guys around me were chuckling at the "Good. Grief." that I said immediately afterwards. A couple of shots later, I wasn't half bad! Made it inside the green circle, (tiny white was the bulls eye, green was surrounding that) each time! You may now refer to me as Annie Oakley.

Afterwards it was off to a sports bar to get beers and, in normal guy fashion, make fun of each other. Surprisingly, I felt right at home.

Being surrounded by empowered women is one of the things I miss most about college. I was in organizations with women that were leaders and incredibly motivated to take on whatever goal they had. But the biggest surprise? I have really enjoyed working in a very male dominated industry. It makes me work harder, stay on my toes, and constantly prove that I am no different just for being a woman.

Has your work brought upon any cool/fun/new experiences lately??

No comments:

Post a Comment